New Symptom

Dear Doctor. I have written a couple of times recently about have extreme fatigue. My CBC information was all normal. My viral load is non-detectable and my T-Cells are in the 600's. Yes, I am HIV+. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the emergency room because I was experiencing numbness on the left side of my face. A CT Scan was performed, revealing a normal result. Can you tell me, what other conditions would you check for in a person presenting with numbness and tingling sensations, primarily in the face? It is not just on the left side, but some times on the right and there is no paralysis. I am a diabetic, but have not been for long and my blood sugar is very well contolled. I am basically just wanting to know what all my doctor should check for so we don't miss anything. Thanks.

Unfortunately making a diagnosis over the Internet is impossible without completely reviewing your medical history, laboratory studies, and performing a physical exam. All I can do is give you a long list of possibilities. This I do not feel would be helpful in the least. The good news is that your CT scan was normal. If you have ongoing "neurological" type symptoms that your HIV specialist can't diagnosis, he or she might want to have you evaluated by a neurologist. Certainly your HIV disease appears to be under very good control with an undetectable viral load and high CD4 cell count. I should also mention that if a physiological cause for your intermittent numbness and tingling sensations cannot be found, a psychological cause should be considered. Anxiety can be associated with these types of complaints.

Anemic II
Wiped out