Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anemic II
Jul 20, 2004

Dr. Bob, Thanks you so much for answering my previous question "Anemic" from the end of June. Since I wrote the question I have had a follow up visit to my Doc (and he feels the same way as you do regarding Anemia). After reviewing all the subsequent tests, a follow up lab test showed acid reflux disease and both Docs(the other being the gastroenterologist)said that it was causing bleeding in the affected area and therefore causing my low red blood cells to be low. I am now on an acid blocker and they expect the area to heal completely. I will have follow up blood tests. BTW my need for naps has stopped!(but I do still enjoy a nap on a rainy Saturday afternoon). There is no need to take up valuable space posting this if you don't want to..I just wanted to let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write back and advise us of your final diagnosis. Certainly "blood loss" (even unrecognized blood loss) is a common cause of anemia. The best treatment here is, of course, to stop the bleeding, and specifically in your case, to stop the acid reflux! By doing so, your anemia should resolve. As the anemia resolves, the symptoms associated with anemia, such as fatigue (need for nap time), will also subside. So everything seems to be happening right on track for you. I congratulate you and your doctor for identifying the problem anemia, then identifying the cause acid reflux resulting in blood loss, and finally instituting specific therapy the acid blocker!

So once again, naps are a luxury and not a necessity just the way they should be. I'm yawning as I type this, flying at 38,000 feet from coast to coast. I think a nap is an excellent idea at the moment. So I'll sign off for now as I fully recline my seat back. Luckily, Dr. Steve (The Body's expert in the Tratamientos Forum) is sitting directly behind me, and he never complains if I recline all the way back into his lap.

Nite-nite.

Dr. Bob zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Previous
A couple of questions
Next
New Symptom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.