Thyroid deficiency

I have gone off my regimen of 9 years od Sustiva and Combivir. I have been put on Rayataz, Viread, Emtriva,and Norvir. I am also getting shots of testostorone for lack of sex drive and my doctor added Levoxyl, saying my thyroid was too low. I am gaining weight like crazy. What can I do? Shelly Winters

Well Shelly, first off, because of that weight problem, I really don't think you should try to swim that underwater passage to try to save the other New Year's Eve passengers on that capsized and sinking luxury cruise liner from The Poseidon Adventure. I've seen the film, and the theme song "There's Got To Be A Morning After" doesn't apply to your character.

OK, with those words of caution, back to your question. What exactly is your question, by the way? I'm not sure how you want me to answer "What can I do?" How would I know? Can you do the splits? Or maybe a backwards flip? Pronounce the word nuclear better than Dubya???

I'll have to assume you, like many folks shopping for plus sizes after super-sizing too many Happy Meals, are worried about your weight gain. Most of us HIVers have the opposite problem. But if you're concerned about becoming the next Tele-tubby, I'll point out that low thyroid (hypothyroidism) is associated with weight gain, so getting your thyroid hormone situation back under control may help significantly. Next, testosterone supplementation will stimulate lean muscle mass growth. Putting on more muscle is, as Martha Stewart would say, "a good thing," mainly because it helps us look better naked. (Martha didn't comment about that part.)

So what can you do? Optimize your diet and exercise programs. (Yes, increased sex does count as aerobic activity if you are "doing it" right.) Next, work closely with your HIV doctor to regulate your hormonal imbalances both your thyroid and testosterone problems. Next, turn down that offer to become a spokeswoman for Krispy Kremes. Finally, write back if I didn't understand your question. I always enjoy it when the aging superstar-divas write in.

Really Scared!!!!
HIV & the Good Mom