Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ANEMIA
Mar 20, 2001

COULD YOU TELL ME WHY I NEED URINE AND STOOL SAMPLES FOR ANEMIA THANKYOU

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well, I assume you mean, "Why do you need urine and stool samples to look for the cause of anemia?" Anemia is the medical term for decreased red blood cells. If your doctor ordered these tests, I can only assume he is looking to see if you may be losing red blood cells through your kidneys and related organs, or losing blood through your gastrointestinal tract (ulcers, etc.), which could show up as blood in your stool.

I'm sure your physician is also considering other potential causes, such as medications (AZT, for example), iron or vitamin deficiencies, or your HIV infection itself.

Once the cause or causes are determined, specific treatment can be instituted.

Good luck.

RJF

Previous
Ritilin for fatigue?
Next
enlarged red blood cells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.