Tiredness PCP

My last viral load was 8,984 and T-cell 437. I was taking Bactrim to prevent PCP up to 14 months ago. I have Asthma and had to go to emergency room in September of 2003 and they put back on Bactrim for four weeks and breathing went back to normal. I have been losing weight about 20 llbs the last 6 months have a dry cought and very weak can not work out at the GYM which I did 5 days a week. I sleep alot. My private doctor put me on Bactrium for four weeks it has been two weeks and my dry cought is not as bad and I am not as tired, but not back to normal. Is it possible to have PCP with such a high t-cell count. Jim

Hi Jim,

It would be unlikely to have PCP with a CD4 count of 437. It occurs most often in folks whose counts fall below 200. However, you were on PCP prophylaxis in the past, so I assume you had CD4 counts below 200 in the past, right? I would definitely have your HIV/AIDS specialist evaluate your symptoms. Dry cough, weakness, fatigue, and weight loss can indeed by symptoms of an unrecognized or inadequately treated infection. Because you also have asthma, you may also be prone to various types of bronchial inflammation, which could account of your cough and exercise intolerance.

The bottom line here, Jim, is that even though PCP may be unlikely, you definitely need a thorough evaluation by an AIDS specialist and by your asthma doctor. The two should consult with each other to come up with an integrated and thorough evaluation and treatment plan.

Good luck, Jim. Write back if you need additional help.

great NY times article on testing
Dear Doc, no catagory for this thought you could help?