Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do RBC's. HgB and Hmtcrt have diurnal variations?...effect on energy??
May 20, 2004

Are Lymphocytes, including WBC's and CD4's usually higher in the afternoon than morning? If so, are RBC's, Hemaglobin and Hematocrit usually higher too in the afternoon and evening? Would that explain why my energy is sapped in the morning and I pick up a bit in the afternoon?

Are there average increases/decreases for the above, depending on time of day?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yes, there are variations in blood cell counts, hormone levels, and other parameters within the body throughout the day-night cycle. However, diurnal changes in red blood cells, hemoglobin, or hematocrit are minimal and certainly not significant enough to affect your energy levels.

Anemia, on the other hand, can indeed be associated with fatigue. If you are anemic (hgb less than 12 g/dL for women, 14 g/dl for men), you need to find out why. Once the cause is determined, specific treatment can be taken to remedy the problem.

Dr. Bob

Previous
this blows my mind!!!
Next
Changing meds to help anemia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.