AZT Anemia: always?

Hello, I have had 2 lab sets in 5 months on 1st time meds, Combivir & Sustiva (infected 8 months ago). VL=ND and CD4=700(41%) but my RBC, Hct and Hgb have been low, which has been attributed to AZT by my physician. Does this ever resolve back to normal levels in some patients, or is the more typical reaction "once anemia, always anemia"? Thank you. I appreciate your service, support and encouragement.

Were you infected eight months ago or did you have your first positive test eight months ago? Are you being treated as a recent seroconverter or perhaps during primary infection (ARS) to try to preserve immune function? If you were chronically infected, was your CD4 count 300 or less and/or viral load markedly elevated when you began treatment? I just want to be certain there is a rationale for you to even be on treatment. But let's assume there is, and discuss your question about anemia.

Anemia in the setting of HIV disease is fairly common and can be caused by a variety of underlying conditions. Certainly AZT-induced anemia would be one of the prime suspects for you, as AZT is one of the components of Combivir. Other causes from blood loss to nutritional deficiencies to even HIV itself must also be considered. Your HIV specialist will evaluate these potential factors. HIV-related anemia can often be multifactorial, meaning that there may be more than one factor contributing to your problem. By examining you, your medical history, and your lab work, the cause or causes can be specifically diagnosed. Once those causes are identified, specific treatment directed at the underlying causes can be started. For instance, if you have a component of iron-deficiency anemia, then iron supplementation would be warranted. If you have anemia of chronic disease (caused by HIV itself) or AZT-induced anemia (and do not want to consider a change in therapy), then Procrit is your best option. Procrit is a mediation that stimulates the production of new red blood cells, and thereby helps to correct the anemia.

Does AZT-related anemia ever resolve spontaneously? Well, almost anything is possible, but I wouldn't recommend just sitting back and waiting to see if this unlikely scenario will occur. Anemia can be associated with a wide variety of symptoms that can compromise your health and quality of life. HIV-related anemia continues to be an undiagnosed and undertreated condition. My very strong advice is to have your anemia evaluated thoroughly and begin whatever treatment is necessary to treat the underlying cause.

Can you have anemia based on just abnormally low Hematocrit?
Fatigue's Kickin' In