Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is New Fill painful?
Mar 30, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob, Thank you very much for your previous answer (I asked some time ago about lipoatrophy). I am trying to convince my brother to do something about his face. He looks so bad that I have nightmares about him (in a way I am just trying to be able to sleep at night). Is the New Fill treatment painful? Thanks from the heart

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yeah, I have nightmares about my brother as well, because he's so ugly, and he's not even HIV-positive just ugly . . . . (Just kidding Peter). I'd be lying if I told you New-Fill was completely painless, but as the French say, "Ça vaut la peine" (It's worth the discomfort). It stings a bit, but really is not what I would call painful. Listening to Bush mangle the English language is painful; New-Fill, by contrast, is just a bit of very transient discomfort. I am hopeful that the FDA will soon approve New-Fill for use in the U.S., and that treatment for lipoatrophy will be considered reconstructive, rather than cosmetic.

Stay tuned to The Body for the latest news about this and other HIV-related products working their way (albeit slowly) through the developmental and approval pipelines.

Also, remember, as bad as you feel about your brother's changing appearance, he probably feels a thousand times worse whenever he looks in the mirror and hardly recognizes himself. We all want you to have a good night's sleep and all, but let's remember your brother is the one living with the nightmare of HIV disease, and for him, it's not just a bad dream from which he can awake. The challenges of cohabitating with HIV are much greater than "skin deep." Remember, your brother may need help and support with issues other than the physically obvious ones.

Please give him a hug form me, and let him know if he has any questions about New-Fill or other issues, I'm here for him as well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, You're Great !
Next
New Fill & Lymph Nodes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.