Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please tell me i'm misinformed. thank you!
Feb 16, 2004

Dr. Bob,

Sorry to bother you, but I heard that you might be at the aids conference in san francisco and that's absolutely wonderful. I'm sure that you stand out as the highlight and gleam sex in the atmosphere with your figure. That's a compliment by the way!!!! :-)

I have been glancing over articles as the come in from the aids conference, but have not noticed any new articles on agents new ones in the pipeline and their results. Please tell me im misinformed. Aren't there new agents being studied now, if so where and why aren't they listed in the conference? Thanks.

Herman

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Herman,

You think that I "gleam sex" at the CROI conference? Well, I was voted best dressed in high school . . . but "gleaming sex" at an AIDS conference? I don't know.

Now on to your question. Misinformed? No, not at all. The conference was loaded with information about new therapies in the developmental pipeline. Many of them don't even have names yet, just letters and numbers. A thorough review is beyond the scope of this Fatigue/Anemia Forum. I'll just list a few points:

1. Novel NRTI's are a long way from clinical availability. Amdoxovir and dOTC have some activity against some NRTI-resistant viral strains.

2. Second-generation NNRTI's are on the way. They appear to have activity against virus resistant to current NNRTI's. Watch for TMC125, capravirine, and DPC083. Expanded access for TMC125 is probably at least a year away.

3. Tipranavir will probably be the next PI to gain FDA approval. It appears to have activity against a wide range of HIV variants that are resistant to current PI's. Expanded-access programs are gearing up.

4. Entry and fusion inhibitors are the newest classes of agents being developed. They are potentially synergistic. CCR5 and CXCR4 inhibitors are in development.

5. Integrase inhibitors are also in development, although human studies are still in their very early stages.

Herman, this is all highly complex and often very preliminary data. It doesn't lend itself to sound bites on CNN. But stay tuned to The Body. We'll keep you posted as progress is made.

O.K. I'm going to go back to "gleaming" now.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Possible anemia..what to do?
Next
Help sickel cell anemia and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.