Using Androgel

Dr. Bob,

I am getting different advice about androgel. One doctor, my urologist prescribed its use, even though I had a high PSA count. He did a prostrate biopsy, and it was ok.

My new primary care doctor, suggested he would not recommend using Androgel with the high PSA. He is an internist.

What do you think. By the way I am fixing to take a "pulled" blood test and a new PSA count this Friday.

Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert,

As with all medications, you have to weigh the risks against the benefits. The risk is that androgens are contraindicated in men with cancer of the breast or know or suspected cancer of the prostate. A high PSA could indicate an underlying prostate cancer or could be due to other non-cancer related conditions like BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy). The urologist is the specialist as far as the prostate is concerned. If he's confidant there is no "known or suspected" prostate cancer and you have a clear indication for using AndroGel (hypogonadism), then his recommendation is the one I would follow. On the other hand, if you don't really have a documented need for testosterone supplementation, why take a risk?

One way or the other, your urologist should monitor your elevated PSA periodically.

Good luck!

testosterone
Possible anemia..what to do?