word has it that viramune is just too dangerous as an anti-hiv med!

Dr. Bob,

Please tell me the truth, I always value any advice you say. Dr. Bob I have heard that viramune is really a drug patients with hiv wish to avoid since it often can cause fatal liver syndrome suddenly and unnaturally. That means that even with successful therapy patients too often die with liver failure taking this product? Is this true? Please tell me your outtake. Thank you.

Will Nelson

Will Nelson? As in The Willy Nelson the country singer with the bad voice and equally bad hairdo? Is this question going to have something to do with "OF ALL THE GIRLS I'VE LOVED BEFORE?" Gosh, I do love it when the stars write in.

Now where did you hear this stuff about Viramune? "Often can cause fatal liver syndrome suddenly and unnaturally?" "Often?" No, that's not true. "Unnaturally?" Well, is fatal liver syndrome ever "natural?"

Yes, it is true that Viramune can cause severe, life threatening, and in some cases, fatal liver toxicity and liver failure, but it's far from common. These rare events occur most frequently during the first 12-16 weeks of treatment; so careful monitoring of liver function studies (blood tests) is recommended during this period to help prevent this complication. The bottom line is that essentially all HIV medications have potential toxicities and side effects. Working closely with your HIV/AIDS specialist will help minimize the risks.

OK, Will, hope that helps. Now I have a question for you. How did you get that raspy off-key voice? Gargling with Drano? And one more piece of advice Willy, that head band and long pigtails look is so over.

Stay well.

Fatigue or worries?
Will loosing my spleen help my ITP?