Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Andro gel follow up
Jan 22, 2004

Hi Doc. I sent you an email a week ago about Andro Gel. I just called my docs office and found out that my testost. results were 530. I guess this is in the lower normal range. Do you feel that with my very low sex drive, low energy, and loss of muscle over the last year would be reason enough for me to go on the gel or injections? I am only 32 and want my sex drive and muscles back. My viral has went from 160,000 to 17, 000 and tcell is up to 530 again....what are your thoughts. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'd suggest checking your "free" testosterone level. If it's low, then yes, a trial of testosterone supplementation (AndroGel) would be warranted. Your 530 is total testosterone, which is a measure of all the hormone in your body. Some testosterone gloms onto proteins (protein-bound) and is therefore not "free" for use. The "free" component is what really counts it's the active fraction. So check this out next, OK?

Great news about your viral load and T-cell counts! Don't forget to get back into a regular aerobic and resistance weight training program, and also to optimize your nutrition to help improve energy levels, sex drive, and muscle mass.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anemia, or something else?
Next
Andro Gel follow up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.