oral procrit????

Hey Dr. Bob,

Wonderful site! I just found it and love reading your replies -- particularly the funny responses to those worried wells in the sex forum! Well, I'm confirmed positive and anemia. The doctor mentioned procrit shots but the thought of going to the office 3 times a week for painful injections isn't all that appealing to me. Of course I'm not happy about being so wiped out that I don't feel like getting out of bed let alone going to the gym. So my question is can I take procrit orally? My doc wasn't sure. Happy Holidays Dr. Bob

Your doc "wasn't sure" if you could take Procrit orally? Well, I'm sure, and the answer is no, unfortunately you cannot. That's the bad news. Now for the good news. Who said anything about "painful injections three times per week" at the "office?" First off, Procrit therapy does not require repeated trips to the doctor's office. It's self-administered in the comfort of your own home. Next, once-a-week treatments have been found to be as effective as three times per week. Third, who said the injections were "painful?" Procrit is self-administered once per week by a very small injection given just under the skin. The discomfort is minimal. Procrit has an excellent track record for efficacy and tolerability with essentially no drug-drug interactions or significant side effects.

So, I'd say the good news far outweighs the bad here. True, there is unfortunately no oral formulation (the drug is not effective if swallowed), but having a highly effective, extremely well tolerated medication that is self-administered only once per week is a definite bonus. I'm a bit concerned your doc didn't explain all this to you. Please make sure you are being seen by a competent HIV specialist, OK? Write back if you have any further questions.

Happy Holidays.

Critical Red blood cells
sounds petty, but it's not easy