HOW CAN WE HELP?

Dr. Bob:

Thank you for being our constant angel. You are a true blessing to us and an inspiration. I am in a 31 year relationship with the man of my love who has been HIV pos since 1988. Recently, he finally got his viral level to undetectable, and his T cells have finally climbed into the middle 300s. It ain't easy, but I consider ourselves blessed. We still have hot sex, but not nearly as often as.... My New year resolution is to make more of a difference. What do you suggest WE (i.e. all of us, but particularly, me) can do to help you, and/or to help us; and/or to just help. Bless you, and keep up the good work (and your great sensee of humor!!)

David D.

Hello David De,

Me, a "constant angel?" Some folks may disagree with that title. And how do I explain my little red horns and this long tail? Although I've always tried to be a "good boy" I must admit I have enjoyed failing miserably on multiple occasions. So maybe I'd qualify for "intermittent angel?"

Thanks for sharing your story. You and your lover have been together for 31 years? Wow, do you have any idea how long that is in straight years? And you still have hot sex! Excellent news! Very encouraging for those of us whose relationships have just entered their second decade! You, dear David, and your beau are the inspiration! Not me. It's always "inspiring" to see love flourish despite the challenges of an unwelcomed intruder like HIV.

What can you do to help? The need is so great that the possibilities are endless. If you want to help, I'm sure you'll find your niche locally, regionally, nationally, or internationally. For instance, I choose to combine my skills as an HIV specialist physician with my passion for playing the piano to generate a mechanism for raising funds for crucial HIV/AIDS services and HIV/AIDS education/awareness around the world. This mechanism allows my foundation to help "redistribute" money from pharmaceutical companies, businesses, and personal donors to those in critical need around the world. In essence, I get to play Robin Hood without having to steal! (And as for the "Merry Men" and the tight leotards, well, we'll talk about that some other time.)

David, I have no doubt you'll find your very own Sherwood Forest in which to help!

Wishing you and your special guy health and peace for the New Year.

All the best for the best Dr......
Is this the final stage?