Testerone gel ???

My Young Doctor ( who admits he is learning as he goes) suggested I try testerone gel ( there were a lot of rep-leftvers in the office brochures etc...) my level is/was at 340 he said the gel would help and enrolled me in a "Study" where I would get free gel for answering questions . It is odd that after he left my room I overheard the same "Pitch " to another ????

Question what is considered "Normal " levels and would adding the gel actually be of any help ? an aside Same Dr. had a lot of posters about the nasal Flu Spray which I asked him about concerned about tha use of live flu virus in immune compromised individuale ( read something bout that) he said na no problem its all the same ??? I know I gotta get a new Dr. but for now he is what I've got ...

I'm more than a bit concerned about your Doogie Howser Doc. Inexperience is one thing, but lacking very basic knowledge that should be well known to any medical student, let alone fully licensed MD, is something entirely different, especially when the knowledge gap can have very disastrous consequences!

You are absolutely correct. Live virus vaccines intranasal or injectable should not be used in immunocompromised folks, including those of us with HIV disease. If your "learning-as-he-goes" doc hasn't already been sued and had his medical license revoked (both of which are very strong possibilities), you might want to call and inform him of the facts about live virus inoculations as you put a request in for a transfer of all of your medical records to your new physician.

As for the testosterone gel question, that depends somewhat on the normal ranges for the laboratory used to run the test. Your value (340) may be low, in which case, testosterone gel supplementation may be warranted. But I, too, would worry a bit about your youngster helping a drug rep push product. Waiting rooms are supposed to be filled with ancient National Geographic magazines whose pictures of half-naked third world jungle-folk have been unceremoniously torn out by horny teenagers, not with drug-rep leftovers!!!

If you need a list of HIV specialists in your area, try the American Academy of HIV Medicine referral site at www.aahivm.org. Your guy, by the way, appears to need more than experience. I think he needs to go back to medical school or become Donald Ashcroft's personal physician.

1 Drunk Guy, 1 Prostitute, No Ejaculation
what a drag