Can anemia delay seroconversion?

Hi Dr. Bob,

I was tested 6 months after a possible exposure. The result was negative (yay). 2 years ago, I went to donate blood for the Red Cross. They prick your finger before to check your iron level I think and it has to be 17 to be able to donate blood (if I remember correctly). Mine was 16 and they told me I was anemic so I could not donate blood. Would being anemic delay seroconversion? I have my doubts about my 6 months test so I was wondering if I could be one of the few to seroconvert late. Thanks for your time Dr. Bob. I hope all is well with you. By the way, I was reading about the doctors on this site and I came across Dr. Steve. Oh my, my, my Dr. Bob, what a little hottie he is! Take care! :)

Anemia does not affect or delay HIV seroconversion or influence the results of HIV tests. If you are anemic, however, you should see your doctor for an evaluation and treatment, if necessary. Certainly it could be a nutritional deficiency, such as iron, vitamin B12, or folic acid deficiency; however, there are many other potential causes as well. The good news for you is that HIV is not your problem. A negative HIV test at 6 months is definitive!

Regarding Dr. Steve, I couldn't agree more! I'm one lucky (and happy) guy! Stay well and do get your anemia checked out, OK?

Orasure Test: Elisia Pos. WesternBlot Pos. Blood Test Elisia Neg., very confused
Please don't delete this: A MISUNDERSTANDING!