Wasting in face, what was your experience?

Dr. Bob,

Listen. I really have wasting in the face, top temples. It noticable but only there left and right. No medication. Did you have wasting prior to going on meds left/right temple? And is there any way to correct this without cosmetics, if not should i get cosmetics without treatment. Im very confused!

jason

Hello Jason,

No, I did not have any facial wasting before starting my meds. There are unfortunately no therapies that have been shown to be effective in treating the underlying problem so far. That leaves cosmetic, or as I prefer to call them, reconstructive procedures. Several approaches are being tried in this area. Not all are available in many parts of the world (including the U.S.). Your fist stop should be to see your HIV specialist. You're not on meds, so you need to see how your immune system is dealing with your HIV infection. Your HIV specialist should also be able to let you know whether the wasting in the temple area is severe enough to warrant a reconstructive procedure. Good luck.

NYTimes article on Procrit risks for people w/ cancer
A CALL FOR ACTION!!! PLEASE POST!!! :-)