Methadone & HIV

I'm taking Methadone for pain management, pain from a combination of neuropathy, arthropathy, muschle pain, spinal discomfort from degeneration in the cervical and lubar regions as well as spondylosis of my entire spine. I'm taking 20mg daily, any higher I become sedated and would rather just sleep all day. The Methadone really plays havoc on the digestive system and while I'm super sensetive to all medications is causing a good bit of discomfort. I always feel full, don't have much of an appetite some of which I'm sure is phsycological and bowel movement can be infrequent most of the time. I take ducosate because I was so dehydrated and dry causing very hard stools that would leave me with fissures. That has been rectified. As for the bloated feeling I feel like I'm packed full and only discharge the amount I input while feeling solid throughout my digestive system. I eat lots of fiber which helps but doesn't actually initiate movement. It was explained to me how Methadone shuts or slows the digestive system down which makes sense. But I want to feel cleaned out and was wondering if it would be harmful once in awhile to take magnesium citrate to cleanse my system as long as I don't make it a habit ? And is there anything else I can do to encourage digestion or is this just how it has to be as long as I'm taking an opiate/narcotic? Thanks Brian

Hello Brian,

This is an HIV information website. Are you HIV-positive? If so, write back with additional details of your HIV meds, viral load, T-cell counts, etc. Methadone can have significant drug interactions with some HIV medications. Even if you're not HIV positive, talk to the doctor who is handling your pain management. Yes, there are things you can do to mitigate the gastrointestinal symptoms caused by opiate/narcotics. He/she should review these options and treatments with you. Good luck.

Concerned Wife
Is my doctor moving too slow with my Testosterone?