My word that I will donate. Scared that I may have made a costly mistake.

Doctor Frascin, I know you must receive a ton of emails a day, but please find it in your heart to answer this one. How much of a risk do I face for HIV from a one episode act of unprotected sex with a 21 year old female visiting from Europe. The amount of time I was erect inside of her could have been no more than 20 - 25 seconds before realizing I should not be going through with unprotected sex. I examined my penis very closely later that night for any visible cuts and signs of blood - there was none that I could see. Trust me I looked hard enough! I know any type of sex unprotected is unsafe. How much of a risk did I take here considering the brief amount of insertion, the inspection of cuts on the penis and the lack of any blood on the penis. I know anything can happen, but is there any sign of hope that I did not get HIV from this stupid mistake I made.

Please continue your excellent work and your great compassion for all who need the right advice.

NYC

Hey NCY,

This forum is for fatigue and anemia. Please send sex-related questions to me at the Safe Sex Forum, OK?

There's not too much I can add to what you already know. Yes, unprotected sex carries some degree of risk for STD's, including HIV. The brief duration may decrease your overall risk. The odds are still very much in your favor that you have not acquired the virus. The risk per episode of receptive vaginal exposure with an HIV-positive partner is estimated to be 0.1 0.2 percent. Your risk is less than that because you were the insertive partner and we do not know if your partner was HIV-positive or not. That she is 21 or visiting from Europe doesn't really tip things one way or the other. Get an HIV test 3 months after the episode. As I mentioned, the odds are very much in your favor that you are negative.

Good luck. We'll all be rooting for you.

book research
exhaustion