How common is adrenal insufficiency?

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have read through this forum, and noticed you mention adrenal insufficiency as a possible cause of fatigue. My doctor (an HIV specialist) thinks I may have this problem. My next step is to see an endocrinologist, and I'm hoping to see one at UCSF (I live in Sonoma Cty). My question is, do you have any idea how common adrenal gland insufficiency is in the context of HIV? I am wondering whether the specialist I wind up with will know anything about this disorder and HIV. I am a 46 y-o female, 20+ year survivor, current T-cells of 192 and VL undetectable.

Thank you, Colleen

Hi Colleen,

How common is it? Well, let me put it this way: Adrenal insufficiency is not an uncommon cause of HIV-related fatigue. It can also occur in association with many other conditions other than HIV. I'm quite certain your endocrinologist will be very familiar with this condition.

Just as background for our readers, the adrenal glands, located on top of the kidneys, are responsible for producing many essential hormones that regulate how our bodies function. So it's no surprise if our hormones are out of whack, we fell, well, wacky!

Adrenal insufficiency (inadequate production of adrenal hormones) can be caused by certain anti-HIV/AIDS drugs, HIV infection itself, or by certain opportunistic infections, such as CMV or TB.

Symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include fatigue, weight loss, decreased blood pressure, and dizziness. It's easy to diagnose and treat, so don't delay in getting an evaluation if your HIV specialist recommends this. OK?

Hoping to Woohoo
revolution???????