Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

procrit
Aug 12, 2003

Hey Dr.Bob, Hope you don't think this question is silly or weird but where does Procrit come from? I plan to try it soon for my anemia and just wonder where it comes from. Thanks for everything ... especially you zany ability to make us smile even when were are dealing with this horrible illness. We love you! Roger

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Roger,

Silly? Weird? No, not at all! Arnold Schwarzenegger thinking he's qualified to be governor of California? Now that's silly. And gay Republicans are weird. Your question is quite normal by comparison.

Where does Procrit come from? That's easy. It comes from the pharmacy. Oh, you mean before that? OK. Procrit is a substance identical to a hormone that your body produces naturally called "erythropoietin." Erythropoietin is made in the kidneys. Procrit is produced in the laboratory, but as I mentioned, it's manufactured to be identical to the naturally produced hormone. Procrit, just like your body's own erythropoietin, stimulates red blood cell production. It has an excellent track record for safety. Procrit is self-administered once per week via a small injection given just under the skin. It has been clinically proven to be remarkably effective in the treatment of certain types of anemia HIV-related anemia, for one. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Tired,nausia and light headed
Next
procrit and insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.