Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

another worried well who could really use your help... have mercy on me...
Aug 6, 2003

Hi, Dr. Bob! First of all, I'd like to say you rock!! I've been reluctant to post a question for several months because I already know the answer, but not being able to take it anymore I decided to finally ask it and hopefully put an end to my anguish. Well, I could spend hours here telling my story and sympathizing with all other "worried well" from this site... I won't... becuase you have more important questions to answer... the thing is that after 2 years and 7 months of torture I decided to get tested and guess what, it came out negative. You knew that, didn't you? But, you also know I can't let it go... yes, I've been tortured by my guilt... etc, etc, etc... I did one "quick test", yes, I know you'll tell me it's as accurate as the traditional ones... but after ruling out all other doubts and after finding out that all the odds are on my favor, there's a single one I cannot forget: 6 months after my last experience with this single man who I don't have any reason to believe is infected at all, I developed a sudden fever, indisposition, pain on the back of my eyes, no sore throat or or rash, and by the way, I'm from a reagion where dengue fever is very common and it was summer, exactly when the "dengue mosquitoes" attack! But why can't I believe it was dengue, provided all these circumnstances and provided that I really took a quick test 2 years and 7 months after my last experience with this man??? My beloved Dr. Bob, I know your answer, but I need it very much, what are the possibility of developing ars after 6 months? I know it shouldn't matter, because I was tested indeed, but anyway, what are the odds? Thanks for your infinite patience!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The real question here is what are the chances of your being HIV-infected after testing negative 2 years and 7 months after a possible exposure? The answer is simple zero! As in zip, zilch, nada! OK? Yes, my patience may be infinite, but so apparently is your guilt and anxiety over this issue. I strongly recommend you get some counseling to help you cope with your persistent fears of a non-existent illness. Good luck and please note questions such as these should be directed to the safe sex forum. This forum is dedicated to fatigue and anemia questions. Dr. Bob

Previous
why low hemoglobin?
Next
feel better

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.