fatigue,headache,sick&giving up

My partner was diagnosed HIV+ a year ago. Since then he was put on combivir and viread because of declining T-cells and undetectable viral load. He has been taking the meds for two months and has never felt sicker. He is stong into no drugs and has been all his life. Now he is so tired of feeling sick, headache, and no energy he is going to stop his meds. I do not know what to do since I know for a fact that he showed nothing before he was diagnosed or before the meds were prescribed. I have seen him consistantly feeling sick (stomach), headaches, and when he comes home from work go almost emediatly to be (within30 min). The docto prescribed one med for nausia (in same class as thorizine) one pill knocked him out for a day and a half. Now the prescription is celebrex. Nothing seems to work we have even tried ginger tea and ginger ale. I am sorry for all this but I am beginning to doubt the meds and am concerned for him. We are both at the end of our ropes.

Thanks ever so much. (K)

Hello K,

Is your partner seeing an HIV specialist? If not, he should be. If he is, he needs to talk to him about his symptoms fatigue, headaches, feeling ill, etc. There are many potential causes. Could the meds be contributing? Sure, that might be the cause or part of the cause, and if so, a change in medications might well be warranted. Other problems, such as anemia, can cause fatigue and headaches. Hormonal imbalances and unrecognized infection will also need to be considered. Check also to see if your partner's CD4 cell count and viral load are at levels where anti-HIV therapy is strongly recommended (CD4 count in the 300-350 range or lower). If so, it's worth considering another regimen. He most likely should still have many potential options to try. Try not to get too frustrated, but do get the help and advice you need. Good luck.

Newfill (choosing a Doctor)
response from reply