Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fatigue? fear? depression?
Mar 11, 2001

Hello, I tested neg after 8 months. however, I still can not shake the deep worry, fear and thoughts I might really have it. I know about the "worried well", but I seem to have all the "classic" symptoms. Ie. swollen glands, loose bowels, fatigue, and most troubling a thrush looking infection. I am really depressed everyday, I feel guilt for putting myself and my girlfriend in this position and I get anxiety attacks. Everyone says that depression can cause fatigue and other symoptoms, but my question is this: will fatigue set in only a year after infection? does it take longer to manifest? I mustered up the courgage to take the test once. I don`t think I could do it again. Plus everyone says that after 8 months it is enough. I worry that the lab made a mistake, or I have a rare strain. If it wasn`t for the symptoms I would not be so worried. please help me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your symptoms are very non-specific and not really all that "classic." What is a "thrush looking infection?" Either you have thrush or not. A physician can easily look at the area in question and take a scraping if necessary to see if it's thrush. Most likely, it's not.

You tested negative at 8 months. Your chance of being infected is extrememely low. You admit to anxiety/depression. This is most likely the cause of most of your symptoms -- fatigue, loose bowels, etc. To specifically answer your question, fatigue related to HIV can occur at anytime, but is often noted as a consequence of the HIV-related medication or in moderate to advanced disease. If you're worried, get tested. I think it may be the only thing that will truly set your mind at ease. Yes, it takes some courage, but your chances of being positive are extremely low. And look at your life now. Isn't it worth knowing for sure that you're negative? Stop worrying, or if you can't, get tested. It will be negative and then you'll stop worrying.

Good luck.

RJF

Previous
sed rate and exposure
Next
Psychological?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.