Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Burnout
Mar 11, 2001

Hi

I have heared the term 'HIV Burnout' used but dont know anything about it. My dad has AIDS which has obviously put a huge strain on me, and is affecting my work etc. It has caused depression in me and I have an appointment to see my doctor about it as Im feeling desperate for some help. Is my situation classed as HIV Burnout or is this a term that only applies to a person who is HIV+?

Thanks

C

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello C,

Sorry to hear about your dad.

The term "HIV Burnout" actually was first applied to physicians caring for HIV patients, particularly early in the epidemic when we had very little to offer those who were infected. Subsequently, the term was expanded to include all HIV caregivers. Even though the term is rarely used now, and when it is, it is primarily applied to doctors and nurses, certainly you are caring for your dad and this has resulted in considerable stress for you. Should your situation be called "HIV Burnout?" Well, if you like, but what's in a name? You are experiencing stress, anxiety, and depression that can accompany anyone caring for a loved one coping with a significant medical problem - AIDS, cancer, stroke, severe trauma, etc. I'm glad to hear you have an appointment with your doctor to discuss your situation. Caring for someone with a chronic illness is indeed extremely stressful. Your physician will discuss ways to cope with the pressure. Expanding your dad's support network may be helpful, so that all the burden doesn't rest on your shoulders all the time. There are also support groups for individuals caring for loved ones with HIV/AIDS. Depression/anxiety can often be treated with counseling and with medications. Your dad needs you and in order for you to be effective in helping him, you must also take care of yourself. Adequate diet, rest, exercise, time with friends, etc. are all very important in recharging your "emotional batteries" to give yourself the strength to cope with your dad's illness. You're making the right move in seeing your doctor. I'm hoping your "burnout" is very transient and that soon you'll be fully recharged. Best of luck with your very difficult situation.

RJF

Previous
Parvovirus B19
Next
sed rate and exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.