The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mar 11, 2001

I am going to start taking B12 shots at home, once a month. Where is the easiest place to do this?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Vitamin B-12 supplementation can be given in several ways. The injectable form is generally given into a large muscle such as the upper arm, buttocks, or thigh. Where you give the shot will depend on if you are going to administer it yourself or have someone give it to you. If you do it yourself, the thigh is probably most convenient. Your pharmacist will give you an information sheet on proper injection techniques, including sites for injection, when you pick up your first prescription. If the instructions aren't included, ask the pharmacist for a copy.

You should also be aware that Vitamin B-12 supplements can be given by a topical gel applied inside the nose. This is often more convenient than the injections. Once your anemia is stabilized on the injections, you might want to consider the nasal topic gel/spray.

Best of luck,


Parvovirus B19

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint