Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic ITP - Bone Marrow Test??
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Bob,

Hello again, it is me the ITP guy. My Hematologist says I have to have a Bone Marrow done. I am not happy about this. In college, I worked as a phlebotomist because the hours of morning rounds in the hospital worked well with my class load. Anyway, my point is that I used to prepare the slides during the Bone Marrows, knowing the great deal of pain that is involved in this procedure, and wonder if it would be out of this world for me to ask to be put under for this test. I see no reason why I should have to endure extra pain. If I should not ask to be put out is there a reason why, like does it mess the test up or something. I know I sound like a baby but just do not look forward to the pain.

Also seeing that IVIG worked for me doesnt that mean my Marrow is working?

Thank you Dr. Bob

David

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey David,

Anesthesia will not mess up the result of a bone marrow test. So why not "go nite-nite" during the entire procedure? Well, the deeper the anesthesia, the greater the risks associated with it. Most bone marrow biopsies are indeed done in the office under local anesthetic. Talk to your doctor about the pain associated with the procedure. He might be able to give you something that would really take the edge off, but not require putting you out completely. No, you dont sound like a baby. Ive seen physicians who do painful procedures every day without a second thought, suddenly become whimpering cry babies when its their turn to like down on the table!

The IVIG effect? It doesnt really mean your bone marrow is working or not. IVIG works on several levels, and most likely is preventing platelet destruction, rather than increasing production.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
nutrition
Next
Fatigue and Fuzeon (T20)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.