Chronic ITP - Bone Marrow Test??

Dr. Bob,

Hello again, it is me the ITP guy. My Hematologist says I have to have a Bone Marrow done. I am not happy about this. In college, I worked as a phlebotomist because the hours of morning rounds in the hospital worked well with my class load. Anyway, my point is that I used to prepare the slides during the Bone Marrows, knowing the great deal of pain that is involved in this procedure, and wonder if it would be out of this world for me to ask to be put under for this test. I see no reason why I should have to endure extra pain. If I should not ask to be put out is there a reason why, like does it mess the test up or something. I know I sound like a baby but just do not look forward to the pain.

Also seeing that IVIG worked for me doesnt that mean my Marrow is working?

Thank you Dr. Bob

David

Hey David,

Anesthesia will not mess up the result of a bone marrow test. So why not "go nite-nite" during the entire procedure? Well, the deeper the anesthesia, the greater the risks associated with it. Most bone marrow biopsies are indeed done in the office under local anesthetic. Talk to your doctor about the pain associated with the procedure. He might be able to give you something that would really take the edge off, but not require putting you out completely. No, you dont sound like a baby. Ive seen physicians who do painful procedures every day without a second thought, suddenly become whimpering cry babies when its their turn to like down on the table!

The IVIG effect? It doesnt really mean your bone marrow is working or not. IVIG works on several levels, and most likely is preventing platelet destruction, rather than increasing production.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

nutrition
Fatigue and Fuzeon (T20)