MGUS,false +HIV?

hi,there. I am 33 years old. I was dx with MGUS 6month ago. I have significant anemia(h and h-10.1 and 31.1)my spike is igg kappa-level is 1.31(rising since last check in March),igg level is 2100(rising also),normal is under 1600) 2 bone marrow bx were "slight kappa predominance,10 plasma cells. protein level in blood is 8.7(sl. high). By the way testing showed elisa POSITIVE-HIV with 2 repeated western blots being negative at 2 moth intervals. Can this somehow be related to the gammopathy?I feel really bad,fatigued,leg cramping and back pain also. Any help would be appreciated as I am very concerned about what to do and feeling worse by the day. Thank you. Mindy

Hello Mindy,

Yes, gammopathies can result in false positive HIV tests. I would tend to believe the negative Western Blots; however, to be certain, this is one instance where a viral load test could be helpful. Your fatigue is most likely related to your anemia. Hopefully your physicians are actively treating both your MGUS and its related complications aggressively, including the anemia. Since this is an HIV information website, I really cant go into great detail about therapies for other conditions, but I did want to let you know that conditions with abnormally elevated antibody levels, such as the various gammopathies, can give false positive HIV tests.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dating HIV+ guy, sex question, want to make it work
Dr.Bob i need you on this one