To Spleen or Not to Spleen Continued

Dr. Frascino,

First and foremost thank you for your reply. Over the past few days I have been reading your replies to others and have to say that you are a great man and have a wonderful soul. Hope you know just how wonderful you truly are. Love your candor.

I have a great Dr. who is an HIV specialist here in Chicago. I will ask him about the Drug-Drug interactions with Videx and Viread requiring dose modification. Presently I take one 300mg (Viread) and one 250mg (Videx) daily. As to my Viral load being so high I assume that is due to the fact that I have not been on meds and just recently started this regiment less a little over a month ago. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am seeing my HIV Dr. this afternoon and will inquire about my Free Testosterone Level, with all the lab work I have had over the past few months I am certain he must have it somewhere.

I am seeing a Hematologist, who works with HIV patients, with regards to the ITP. He is the one who is recommending that I have the Splenectomy, I will definitely ask him about he "WinRho SDF." Both my Hematologist and HIV specialist have said Anemia is not an issue.

I try not to second-guess them as I have chosen them carefully and really did my homework with regards to diving into their abilities. However with all that is going all I feel I should be a little more knowledgeable and proactive in my treatment.

My HIV Dr. is sending me to a neurologist with regards to the Fatigue; he is very concerned about the level that it has manifested and would like for me to be checked for MS. Is there a known association with HIV and MS and if so is MS manageable? I have done some research but it is very gray to me.

As coming to your house for HOME MADE PASTA SAUCE, I am there!!! Calling the airlines as soon as I send this off. WOOT Sexy, Smart and Can COOK!!

And on a last note, Could you please explain to me why all the terminology in the medical field must be so complicated, it is very hard for a spelling challenged individual such as myself.

Again thank you,

To Spleen or Not to Spleen (David)

Sorry for being so long winded

Hi David,

Welcome back to the forum. There is no specific link between HIV and MS that I am aware of, although, certainly it is possible to have 2 separate conditions simultaneously. There are a whole host of HIV-related neurological conditions neuropathies, myopathies that Im sure the neurologist will check out for you. Once a diagnosis has been confirmed, I can help get you up to speed on its relationship to HIV, various management issues, etc. Its probably a bit premature for me to delve into all that complicated stuff now, when we arent sure yet that this is your problem.

Keep me posted as the HIV specialist, hematologist, and neurologist get their various test results back. One thing to mention to the HIV doctor is the possibility of lactic acidosis and remember to make sure the various specialists are working together to get down to the cause of your problem.

Why is the terminology in the medical field so complicated? Thats easy: So no one will know what we are talking about. Its like a secret language Pig Latin for braniacs. Youre not alone in having difficulty spelling these terms. Why do you think doctors notoriously have such bad handwriting? Its because we cant spell those damn words either, so we just scribble. Now you know one of our deepest secrets, so dont tell anyone, OK? I wouldnt want the word to get out.

By the way, your current dose of Viread (300) combined with "Videx-EC" (250) both once per day is correct and should be taken with a light meal. Oh that reminds me, the pasta sauce is bubbling away. Im Italian, so of course I can cook. Its genetic. Dinner at 8 sharp, OK?

Dr. Bob: Mixed Status Gay Couple and Oral Sex
Dating HIV+ guy, sex question, want to make it work