Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advice for my son pt2
Jul 3, 2003

Doctor Bob,

Despite the fact that the doctor said he will live his full lifespan if he adheres to treatment he still thinks he is going to die in ten years and wants to leave college. Tell me doctor Bob, what are realisticly his chances of living until old age?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The realistic chances are excellent, but no one (not even me) has a crystal ball. One thing that will inhibit his chances is his attitude. No doubt your son is scared and perhaps depressed about his recent diagnosis. Lets face it: Its not exactly good news. A period of adjustment is normal, but deciding to leave college and thinking hell be dead in 10 years could indicate he is clinically depressed. I would suggest you arrange with his HIV/AIDS doctor for a referral for some counseling to help him cope with this difficult and unanticipated turn of events in his life. A positive attitude about being positive coupled with the advice and care of a competent and compassionate HIV/AIDS physician are critical to improving your sons very realistic chances of one day joining AARP and other senior citizen organizations.

I suggest your son log on to this site and related links to gain additional insights into his HIV condition.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How are you?
Next
Dr. Bob: Mixed Status Gay Couple and Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.