Advice for my son pt2

Doctor Bob,

Despite the fact that the doctor said he will live his full lifespan if he adheres to treatment he still thinks he is going to die in ten years and wants to leave college. Tell me doctor Bob, what are realisticly his chances of living until old age?

The realistic chances are excellent, but no one (not even me) has a crystal ball. One thing that will inhibit his chances is his attitude. No doubt your son is scared and perhaps depressed about his recent diagnosis. Lets face it: Its not exactly good news. A period of adjustment is normal, but deciding to leave college and thinking hell be dead in 10 years could indicate he is clinically depressed. I would suggest you arrange with his HIV/AIDS doctor for a referral for some counseling to help him cope with this difficult and unanticipated turn of events in his life. A positive attitude about being positive coupled with the advice and care of a competent and compassionate HIV/AIDS physician are critical to improving your sons very realistic chances of one day joining AARP and other senior citizen organizations.

I suggest your son log on to this site and related links to gain additional insights into his HIV condition.

How are you?
Dr. Bob: Mixed Status Gay Couple and Oral Sex