Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Update for Dr. Bob (Brazil)
Jul 2, 2003

Dr. Bob,

First of all I know this is the wrong forum (again) however I couldn't find the worried well page and the "am I infected" page doesn't have an ask a question feature. I apologize and prefer that this question not be posted but a simple reply instead.

If you recall I am the college moron that went to brazil. I took your advice to get tested and I did at 8.5 weeks and 11 weeks 2 days. Both ELISA were negative but obviously they are short of 3 months. Why did I test so early? Chronic and unrelenting stress is my answer. My question is should i get tested again? My doctor is convinced no further testing is needed considering i have a negative reaction at 80 days and no proof of any acute symptons (she thinks my sickness was related to the week long alcoholic binge) besides shotty nodes on my neck and groin.

Thanks and one more question. Since this episode began I am determined to aid in any manner to fight this disease (money, awareness, counsel) and I greatly respect people like yourself. My question, how come you seem to give in-depth compassionate (yet honest) answers to worried individuals while others like XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX give bullshit answers that just add more anxiety? This pisses me OFF!!!!!!!! I get so mad just thinking about it. Scared kids are comming to these boards just looking for direction and if it wasn't for you i would not have been tested. Sometimes these XXXXXXXXX give sentence long answers and sometimes they give redundant answers that the kids already know. I know I am not in the clear just yet but thank you, if it wasn't for you I would have ruined my life with worry. If you could give XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Brazil Guy,

I dont have any way to respond privately to your question, as I dont see the actual e-mail addresses in my mailbox. Just the question title and date is all I see. So, I took the liberty of slightly revising your post so as not to ruffle any feathers.

First off, congratulations and WOO-HOO! What do you mean youre not out of the woods yet? Your ELISA is only 5 days short, and Id say thats close enough. Sure, go ahead and retest if you like, but the immune system really doesnt know how to count days all that closely. Shotty nodes in the neck and groin can be completely normal.

Regarding the other forums, what can I say? Im sure no one wants to increase anyones anxiety levels. Hopefully with the variety of experts on this site, folks will find their way to one they click with. Often we have to be careful (perhaps overly careful) so as to not be misinterpreted. (As for what youd like me to give, well, . . . consider it done!)

Stay well and congratulations!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can we Clone you?
Next
not absorbing androgel effectivly

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.