|How about a little algebra?
Jun 19, 2003
Dear wiz of woohoo, Unfortunately i still cannot solve for d. d=s+t+p+r+o (disease = symptoms + testing + regimen + other concerns)
s= fatigue, sore glands in the armpit and groin every day but not swollen, chronic joint pain, dry cracked skin, wierd headaches, loss of memory/function, red eyes, fungal nails black and yellow thickened, night sweats the first year were heavy.
t= elisa 1&2 out to 17 months neg, syphillis 3 mo neg, blood counts normal.
r= treating with anti-candida strategy for a couple months now, basically off the shelf supplements like capryllic acid, helping the nail problem and diah. meditating weekly for a couple months now. trying to stay active when joint pain is tollerable. Believe it or not the quality of my emotional life is far better, life has so much more meaning now and it's appreciated, physically it's off significantly.
o= spouse is also experiencing extreme fatigue, dry skin, joint pain with unknown cause, red eyes. also had severe night sweats the first year. I have been experiencing my symptoms for 27 months, my spouse for about 1.5 years.
Here's my stab at solving for d. 1.It's hiv and I'm the rare case not generating detectible antibodies on Elisa. 2.A strain of HHV that connot be diagnosed, thus causing the CFS type symptoms. 3.Candida albicans caused by an imbalance which will take months, possibly years to clearup.
Please select action item/s for me. 1. Take a PCR, because it does happen in very rare cases and you've had symptoms for far too long. 2. Stay on the anti-candida since it is having some affect. 3. See an ID specialist and request what tests?
Bob, I'm glad to see your health is holding, and your attitude and quality of life is good. You deserve it many times over, just for what you're doing on the board.
Even if d cannot be solved, d = donation.
So take care and thank you my friend!
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hi Algebra Guy,
Im a physician and a musician. Math was never one of my strong suits; however, Im quite convinced I can solve your problem. Your equation is unnecessarily complex, because: d=s+t+p+r+o
1. "s" does not equal "d". Symptoms do not equal disease. For instance, not all headaches are brain tumors! 2. "r" may not be needed. See a dermatologist if you think you have a nail fungus. Over the counter products are not effective in treating this condition. I strongly doubt you have a candida problem. 3. "p" You listed this in your equation, but never defined what it was supposed to represent. 4. "o" Your spouse does not belong in your equation. You cant give her something you dont have. If shes having problems, she should see her doctor (and get her own equation). 5. "t" ELISA tests that are negative out to 17 months are absolutely and definitively conclusive that HIV cannot be, is not, and has never been your problem. So, any and all variables related to HIV have been eliminated!
OK, now for your theory, taking into account the above facts:
1. No, you are not a rare case. 2. No, you do not have a rare strain of HIV that cannot be diagnosed. 3. No, Candida albicans is not your problem.
Next, the action items:
1. If you insist on a PCR, thats up to you. You dont need it, and I can absolutely guarantee it will be negative. 2. Anti-candida treatment is most likely not warranted. Check with a dermatologist, if necessary. 3. Why see an ID specialist? Your symptoms are not suggestive of an infectious disease.
So what would I suggest? I very strongly suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a counselor who can help you cope with irrational fears of a disease you dont have. That is the best way to solve for "d".
Hope that helps. Thanks for the other "d"!
Undiagnosed anemia - they say Im a rare case!
- Sore Testicles Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- HIV Risk Sex With A Prostitute
- Sex With A Prostitute How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- Sore Testicles After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Breast Sucking Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.