Morning Fatigue and then Fatigue after work

I was diagnosed in December with HIV and was started on HARRT in January. I was put on Trizivir and Sustiva and the Sustiva was changed to Viramune in March. I find that I am totally exhausted by the end of my work day and have no energy in the morning.

My counts are good, but my red blood cell counts keep falling. What questions should I be asking my doctor and all of that.

Declining red blood cell counts could mean that you are becoming anemic. Fatigue is a common symptom of anemia, as are rapid heartbeat, exercise intolerance, headaches, decreased sex drive, inability to concentrate, shortness of breath, and other symptoms, depending on the severity of the anemia. AZT, a component of Trizivir, is well known for suppressing bone marrow production of red blood cells. Certainly this would be the first possibility Id discuss with your HIV specialist. Treatment options, if AZT turns out to be the culprit, would include switching off that drug or treating the anemia with Procrit. Procrit stimulates the bone marrow to make additional new red blood cells. Other common causes of fatigue in the setting of HIV disease include:

1. Depression, stress, and anxiety 2. Hormonal imbalances 3. Inadequate sleep, rest, diet, and/or exercise 4. Unrecognized infection

Check these possibilities out with your HIV specialist, and write back if you need additional advice. Good luck.

uh um i feel so yuky
Dr.Bob Advice for my son