Exhaustion in Early Stage

I recently tested positive (April 28) and seroconverted in early March. (tested negative on April 10). I have a CD4 count of about 1000 and viral load of 10,000. I am exhausted and feel depleted of energy. I have also had severe pains in my knees when i sit for long periods of time (like on an airplane or at the theater.) One doctor has said that the exhaustion is emotional; another has said that it is a symptom of the virus. What is your opinin? Could the virus have affected my joints as well? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the recent positive test.

Could your fatigue be emotional? Yes.

Could your fatigue be a symptom of the virus? Also, yes!

Could your fatigue be something else? Again, yes!

What to do? First, make sure you are under the care of an HIV specialist. Have him or her evaluate you for the common causes of fatigue anemia, hormonal problems, infection, medication side effects, etc. Hell need to evaluate your joint complaints as well. Yes, there are a variety of joint problems that can be related to HIV disease.

Next, learning that you are HIV-positive is an emotional shock. There will be a period of psychological adjustment to this new reality of cohabitating with HIV. If other causes for your fatigue have been ruled out, then ask for a referral to a compassionate HIV-knowledgeable therapist, who also can help you with this trying time. From personal experience, I can assure you things will indeed get better.

Write back if you are still having difficulties, or if you have other questions? Good luck. Remember, we are all in this together. OK?

Get Tested first
Need energy booster.