Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood lumps in excreta
Jun 16, 2003

Dear Robert, My Background:It started around 2 years back. I dont have anemia but my blood tested positive for being prone to anemia at one of the university medical centers. Due to work ( computer related ) and financial constraints i sometimes have to go without eating for 2-3 days and my diet isnt too good which i am working on now. Problem: Whenever i get sick or undergo a bad diet till the time i recovering ( just my observa6tion ) i get these lumps of blood in my excreta. Infact this is the only thing i get in my stools. It exerts a high pressure every 2-3 hours or so and the only thing that comes out is blood. CheckUp: I went to University Medical Center once and they thought it might be a wound. They checked it but didnt find any wound and suggested me take "multivitamins with iron" tablets.

I feel bad and weak. I had improved on my diet and then it stopped for a while but this week i fell sick 'coz of cold and it started again.

Its a lot of blood and i dont want it to waste and i feel i am loosing all my energy.

Could you please tell me what exactly to ask university doctors to check on ( as i dont have enough funds to go on for private checkup )? Also, what other symptoms can i observe and get back to you if you want me to? Thanks Sincerely

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Im not sure what testing to be "prone to anemia" really means. Either you are or you arent anemic. Check your laboratory reports. If your hemoglobin is less than 12 g/dL for women or 14 g/dL for men, then youre anemic.

If indeed you are having "lumps of blood" in your bowel movements, just taking "multivitamins with iron" is not the solution to your problem. If you are "losing all your energy," then you might be anemic from the blood loss. Certain nutritional deficiencies (from poor diet, for example) can also lead to anemia.

I cannot diagnose the cause of your bloody bowel movements over the Internet. It could be something as simple as hemorrhoids or something much more complex. You need a more thorough medical examination. I would strongly suggest you have this checked out sooner rather than later, particularly if you are having active symptoms. Consider bringing a stool specimen to your appointment. I think the "University Medical Center" may well have missed your true diagnosis first time around. A reevaluation is certainly warranted.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Locating New-Fill
Next
Get Tested first

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.