Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suffering in silence...please please help!!!
May 31, 2003

Dear Doctor,

It has been 15 months since my high risk encounter with a man of unknown serostatus. About 4 weeks after the event my troubles began (sudden onset at this time). I suffered severe illness with a constellation of symptoms all of whic are consistent with HIV infection. Some symptoms abated but most continued for 7 months relentlessly i.e. discharge, mouth blisters, fatigue, nausea loss of apetite,pins and needle effects, blood blisters appearing in mouth among others.10 months post exposure I experienced a visual disturbance for a day and at the moment I have floaters in my vision. I experienced night sweats only around the 8 month (for 2 nights only). I was tested 17.5, 24 and 29 weeks post exposure, with ELISA and p24 on the first two tests and only ELISA on the third test. It is my terrifying belief that because I was tested prior to the night sweats, I hadn't at the time produced the antibodies. If I was at this time in primary infection would not the vireamia being so high that the p24 test would have been positive. I am absolutely terrified to test again. I would be very grateful should you please consider the above as I am desperately in need of help. Thank you very much,

All the best

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

All "am I infected" and "worried well" questions must be posted to The Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum. This forum is for folks confirmed to be HIV-positive.

Briefly, I can tell you that repeat ELISAs and P24 tests out to 29 weeks are definitive. You do not have HIV. Despite your "terrifying belief" that testing before your night sweats would alter a positive response, this just is not true. The immune system does not work that way. You have no reason for additional testing at this time. Yell, "WOO-HOO," and get on with your life.

Congratulations! You are negative.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
early fatigue
Next
Dam it, Dr. Bob, no more chat about you dying we need you around here!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.