Suffering in silence...please please help!!!

Dear Doctor,

It has been 15 months since my high risk encounter with a man of unknown serostatus. About 4 weeks after the event my troubles began (sudden onset at this time). I suffered severe illness with a constellation of symptoms all of whic are consistent with HIV infection. Some symptoms abated but most continued for 7 months relentlessly i.e. discharge, mouth blisters, fatigue, nausea loss of apetite,pins and needle effects, blood blisters appearing in mouth among others.10 months post exposure I experienced a visual disturbance for a day and at the moment I have floaters in my vision. I experienced night sweats only around the 8 month (for 2 nights only). I was tested 17.5, 24 and 29 weeks post exposure, with ELISA and p24 on the first two tests and only ELISA on the third test. It is my terrifying belief that because I was tested prior to the night sweats, I hadn't at the time produced the antibodies. If I was at this time in primary infection would not the vireamia being so high that the p24 test would have been positive. I am absolutely terrified to test again. I would be very grateful should you please consider the above as I am desperately in need of help. Thank you very much,

All the best

All "am I infected" and "worried well" questions must be posted to The Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum. This forum is for folks confirmed to be HIV-positive.

Briefly, I can tell you that repeat ELISAs and P24 tests out to 29 weeks are definitive. You do not have HIV. Despite your "terrifying belief" that testing before your night sweats would alter a positive response, this just is not true. The immune system does not work that way. You have no reason for additional testing at this time. Yell, "WOO-HOO," and get on with your life.

Congratulations! You are negative.

Stay well.

early fatigue
Dam it, Dr. Bob, no more chat about you dying we need you around here!