Female who had 1x unprotected...PLEASE ANSWER...I will donate

Dr. Frascino,

First of all I want to say thank you for all of the hard work that you put towards the forum. Your responses are truly up-lifting and people like me who are going through so much anxiety appreciate it so much.

Here is my story. I'm a 28 year old female who had un-protected sex for like 10 seconds without him ejaculating inside of me. I don't even think he was erect all of the way. My exposure was on 2/8/03 and I tested on 2/27/03 (ELISA) and the test came back negative. Since my exposure I had developed pharyngitis (which went away with meds), a rash that came and went (which I still get here and there), a couple of genital red spots (which were not herpes), diahrrea and loss of appetite for a week. I have to say that I know a lot of the symptoms were caused by stress and anxiety due to my fear of having contracting HIV. I was even put on Zoloft which I'm taking currently. What do you think my risk is? Can I count on the Elisa test? I'm so scared that I have contracted HIV from the one episode? Please answer my question 'cause I feel like I'm going insane. I'm on the verge of losing my job and everything. You're input would be SOO appreciated!! Also, please give me the address of where I can send my donation to.

Thanks and God Bless!

Questions about possible infection need to be sent to me at the Safe Sex/HIV Prevention Forum, as this forum is for folks with confirmed HIV disease. So folks, if you are waiting for a reply, and you are not confirmed HIV-positive, youll need to re-post your question to the other forum. Sorry for the inconvenience. But folks with HIV/AIDS are rightfully concerned that "worried well" questions are clogging up forums dedicated to them.

Consequently, Ill only reply briefly. Your risk is 10 seconds of receptive unprotected vaginal sex with someone of unknown serostatus. Your symptoms are not at all concerning to me as terms of a possible ARS. HIV testing is not considered definitive until 3 months after a potential exposure. Consequently, your test 19 days after exposure cannot be considered conclusive.

Do I think you have HIV? No, I do not. I hope you are working with a compassionate therapist who can help you with your fears, as well as regulate your Zoloft dose. If not, ask your doctor for a referral. Also, note that since more than 3 months have passed since your brief potential exposure on 2/8/03, you can retake your HIV test for a completely definitive result. The odds are very much in your favor for not having contracted HIV from this episode.

The Foundations mailing address can be found at the end of my biosketch posted on this site. Ill also reprint it here:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Good luck! And many thanks for your donation!

Is fatigue a "normal" HIV effect?
what dance clubs do u appear at?