Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Androgel - How long to work?
May 8, 2003

Hi, I'm 44 years old, have been poz goin on 12 years, and have been alone a long time. Recently I've fallen for somebody but my libido hasn't quite responded the way I remember. My doc put me on Androgel for about a month ago, 2.5 grams 1, 1 packet a day. My doc put me on it after finding a low free teststrone level (and my constant complaining about a low libido). However, as of now, I don't really feel anything different - I still have little, or no sex drive. I was hoping this would help. How long after starting the Androgel should I start to see some results? Do you think it would help to double up applying more than 1 gel packet a day? Also, are there larger doses than 2.5 grams? I'd just like to get back that "lovin'" feeling again.... Thanks for your input.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Congratulations not only on being a 12-year veteran of this war and also for "falling" again. OK, so Mr. Happy isnt "responding" the way you "remember." Now assuming you are not remembering only those glorious years between 18 and 25 when we all walked around like unicorns, yes indeed we can often perk Mr. Happy back up with appropriate treatment. Hypogonadism (low testosterone levels) is extremely common in us Poz guys. Some studies put the figures as high as 45% of all male HIVers having low love juice levels! Luckily, diagnosis is easy (your testosterone levels were low) and treatment remarkably effective. Starting one packet of AndroGel per day is fine. You should see things "looking up" within a week or two. If not, the dose may need to be increased. You can monitor your response by rechecking your testosterone level on treatment. As a young buck at 44 (thats compared to me), you should push your testosterone level into the mid to upper range of normal. That should wake up your one-eyed monster and lagging libido. And considering youve been "alone a long time," we probably should warn your new partner to be ready for not only that "lovin" feeling, but also "a whole lotta love goin on."

Good luck lover boy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV and fatigue
Next
HappyHepper Checking in

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.