High Hemoglobin

Hello! My nephew is 18 and has he has High Hemoglobin for the last 2 years. Now it is 180gm/liter,last year it was 170gm/l and I know Normal Hemoglobin is between 110-165gr/l or 13-17gm/dl. His doctor said that the red+white cells are normal. Liver+Kidney are normal too, but his Spleen is slightly enlarged. My nephew is in good physical shape and doesn't smoke or drink. His health seems also fine,eccept he gets tired and weak very easy. I am really concerned about his Health. Please, what should I do and what kind of help should I look for to establish the reason of his High Hemoglobin. Is my Nephew at risk of some serious desease? I would really appreciate if you can help me please. God bless you and thank you very-very much.

Valentina

Hello Valentina,

This is an HIV information website. What are your nephews T-cell count, viral load, and current medications? If he is not HIV-positive, he needs to see his doctor to have an evaluation for polycythemia (high hemoglobin). There are a variety of potential causes in both the HIV-positive and HIV-negative situations. Ill review the HIV-positive potential causes when you respond back with his additional information. Also, is he on supplemental testosterone therapy?

What is your answer about this?
Blood Test Results