Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High Hemoglobin
May 8, 2003

Hello! My nephew is 18 and has he has High Hemoglobin for the last 2 years. Now it is 180gm/liter,last year it was 170gm/l and I know Normal Hemoglobin is between 110-165gr/l or 13-17gm/dl. His doctor said that the red+white cells are normal. Liver+Kidney are normal too, but his Spleen is slightly enlarged. My nephew is in good physical shape and doesn't smoke or drink. His health seems also fine,eccept he gets tired and weak very easy. I am really concerned about his Health. Please, what should I do and what kind of help should I look for to establish the reason of his High Hemoglobin. Is my Nephew at risk of some serious desease? I would really appreciate if you can help me please. God bless you and thank you very-very much.

Valentina

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Valentina,

This is an HIV information website. What are your nephews T-cell count, viral load, and current medications? If he is not HIV-positive, he needs to see his doctor to have an evaluation for polycythemia (high hemoglobin). There are a variety of potential causes in both the HIV-positive and HIV-negative situations. Ill review the HIV-positive potential causes when you respond back with his additional information. Also, is he on supplemental testosterone therapy?

Dr. Bob

Previous
What is your answer about this?
Next
Blood Test Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.