Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Procrit vs Anadrol
Apr 25, 2003

Ok I have an off the wall question. I am currently 5'10 195 lbs and @ roughly 12 BF. I workout on a regular basis and I do use anabolics. I try to be as safe as possible. My question is this: I know that for me to take enough anadrol it can cause liver damage and possibly cysts also. Will procrit have the same androgenic/androbolic effects as Anadrol? It seems to be a much safer substance as it is amino driven, And not a 17-alpha alkylated .

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

And just what wall did you get that question off of???

What does @roughly 12 BF mean? (Perhaps -- at roughly boyfriend #12?)

At any rate, you have a misconception about these drugs. Yes, Anadrol is an androgenic (male hormone)/anabolic (protein building) steroid medication that can have a considerable number of undesirable side effects, including liver damage. Procrit, on the other hand, is not androgenic, nor anabolic, and it is not a steroid. Procrit is identical to a substance your body produces naturally called "erythropoietin." Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production. It does not build muscles, lower your voice, or make you horny.

Perhaps your confusion resulted from the fact that both anabolic steroids and Procrit can increase hemoglobin levels by inducing the production of new red blood cells. This is useful in treating anemia and relieving anemia-related side effects, such as fatigue, rapid heart rates, exercise intolerance, shortness of breath, and a host of other symptoms.

Procrit works directly on the bone marrow, where red blood cells are produced. It is remarkably safe and well tolerated with no significant drug side effects or drug-drug interactions.

Anabolic steroids, on the other hand, work in an entirely different way and carry a significant risk of potential side effects and toxicities. One effect of anabolics is to stimulate the kidney to produce and release more erythropoietin (the natural Procrit) into the blood stream. From there, it eventually has an effect in the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. This is not the primary effect of anabolic/androgenic steroids, which are used to treat hormonal imbalances, such as hypogonadism, and also HIV wasting.

So go back to that "wall" and post this response for all to read and learn from. OK? Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Joint / Muscle Pain w/ Fatigue and Swollen Lymph node
Next
Fatigue after Pneumonia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.