mortality in age of haart.

What are the leading causes of death for those who seroconverted after the advent of HAART? Does this group of people still die from HIV?

Well thats actually a fairly complicated question. HIV is not curable, at least not yet. So consequently yes, it can still be a fatal illness. Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART) unfortunately does not work for everyone for a variety of reasons. For instance, its possible someone could have a strain of the HIV virus, which is resistant to all the HAART medications currently available. Or perhaps the medication could not be tolerated due to side effects or toxicities. The leading causes of death in folks with uncontrollable HIV disease are opportunistic infections and cancers. I should quickly add, however, that with optimal care from an HIV specialist and the availability of more and more anti-HIV drugs (with more in the pipeline), death rates from HIV/AIDS are decreasing for those lucky enough to have access to the drugs and to be able to tolerate the long-term side effects.

Stay tuned to The Body for new therapeutic advances as they develop!

read my fan mail, you bastard
going suicidal ... hiv or my mind