is it chicken or egg?

Does low testosterone cause depression, or can depression itself also cause low testosterone?

Your first guess is correct low testosterone can cause depression. If can also lead to loss of energy, appetite, weight, muscle and bone mass, and perhaps worse of all, sex drive. Between 25 and 45% of all male HIVers have low testosterone.

Depression, on the other hand, can cause lots of symptoms fatigue, weight loss, sleep disturbances, irritability, agitation, difficulty concentrating, feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, and even decreased sex drive. But the decreased sex drive is not due to decreased testosterone.

Hope that helps. Now please dont ask me for the answer to the chicken or the egg question, because about that, I have absolutely no idea.

Stay well.

Ferratin level
Lower testicular volume