Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

procrit recall?????????
Mar 25, 2003

Hey there Dr. Bob, My buddy just mentioned that Procrit is being recalled? What's the scoop? It's been working like magic for me and I'd hate to give it up and go back to being wiped out again. My doc doesn't know anything about a recall but said if I wanted to stop I could. My friend stopped his and is waiting for his next doctors appointment to discuss it with him but he's already feeling tired again and his appointment isn't for another 5 weeks. So we hope you'll be able to help us out. We trust you and of course love you to pieces!!!! Studly and friend

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Studly and Friend,

No, Procrit has not been recalled. The scoop is that on March 11, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning that counterfeit Procrit had appeared in the marketplace. Not only does the fake product contain no active ingredient, but some of the samples are contaminated with bacteria. Bacterial contamination can have a devastating effect on folks with compromised immune systems.

Ortho Biotech, the manufacturer of Procrit, is helping with the FDA investigation. They have a web page identifying how to distinguish between counterfeit and legitimate Procrit. The web address is www.procrit.com/counterfeit/let.html

Counterfeit drug labeled as Procrit 40,000 units/mL has been found bearing lot numbers:

P007645, expiration 10/2004 P004677, expiration 02/2004 P004839, expiration 02/2004

The packaging of the counterfeit product differs from real Procrit in several ways as detailed on the web site.

There is no reason for you, or your friend, to stop Procrit. You can always have your pharmacist re-check your Procrit for authenticity. Pharmacists and physicians have all received information about the counterfeit drug.

Similar problems of counterfeiting have occurred with human growth hormone and a variety of other agents as well.

I'm delighted to hear that Procrit has been working so well for you. My advice is definitely not to stop it. Just check your supply to make sure you're getting the real stuff. And pass this information on to your friend and also your physician.

Write back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Stay well. Stay energized!

Dr. Bob

Previous
donation responses
Next
Blood on Condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.