Re: Neuropathy, Weird Things Going On??

Hello Dr. Bob,

I wrote you a couple of weeks ago about painful tingling and feet burning and my diagnosis as having plantar fasciitis. Oh yeah, by the way, you are definetely much cooler than George Clooney during his ER days as well as Noah Wylie and the entire cast of Chicago Hope, if you remember that show!! Anyway, I went back to my orthapedist and told him about my new symptoms of tingling in legs up to the knee. He had no explanation and gave me a prescription to get custom orthotics made to help battle what he thinks is plantar fasciitis. Next, now i am now getting the tingling sensation in both wrists and can barely fall asleep at night due to the weirdness of it all. Every definiton I 've read of this stuff sounds like neuropathy to me. What is my next step? Do I need to see a neurologist? Do I need to do a battery of blood tests, as well as an HIV test even though only risk is the insertive oral less than one year ago? It seems pretty small chances that I would get HIV by oral sex and then have neuropathy which is very rare during the first year. Two very rare occurences together is just not likely, but you know I think what if?? I understand this all, but what else could it be. I know I don't have diabetes either. At only 22, this is getting frustrating, I need to study and graduate from college and this is such a distraction. What do you think, I need some direction here. Thanks again Dr. Bob and stay cool!!!

Cooler than Clooney, Wylie and the entire cast of Chicago Hope??? Oh, I bet you tell that to all the experts! As you can see, flattery will get you a long way here in this forum!

OK, tingling in the wrists is definitely not plantar fasciitis. Next step would definitely be a neurologist. He or she will examine you, order the appropriate blood work, and probably do a nerve stimulation test. I'm still very convinced HIV has absolutely nothing to do with your current problem, if your "only risk was insertive oral sex less than a year ago." I totally agree with your assessment that the chances of 2 extremely, extremely rare occurrences being responsible for this are essentially impossible. What about the "what if"? Well, what if Clooney and Wylie both decide to ask me out for a date Saturday night? See, what I mean? It "might" --- but just isn't going to happen . . . . sigh.

Stay well, and let me know what the neurologist says.

Doc, please help an unsure Pole
Stiff Pecker , stiff neck??