Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fidgety Fingers (Give Dr. Bob a well earned rest.)
Feb 20, 2003

Dr. Bob,

Hope this gives you some respite from people who ask seroconversion questions time after time.

Had my bit of frisky fun a couple of weeks ago. Fun, fun, and yep - more fun! Used protection etc good boy etc etc. After sex though noticed cut on finger - a naughty finger that had been places it doesn't go to on a day to day basis ;-).

Now, looking at this forum, I have two options. 1:Absolutely panic that I could have contracted HIV via a small cut by the nail - one that WASN'T FRESH, WASN'T BLEEDING and HAD THUS FORMED A SCAB LAYER!!!! (Sorry - have to make this clear to people.)

OR, 2:I can assess my chances, risks etc and if I feel unduly concerned get tested at 3 months.

Let me add to the equation - two weeks after my escapade I came down with a sore throat, rhusky (and apparently sexy) voice, a slight fever, slightly swollen lymph nodes in the neck.....OK, hands up, how many people are jumping to the HIV conclusion now??

Well - certainly not my doctor. He looked at my tonsils, felt the lymph nodes and did he start asking about HIV (he is a pro. after all)!? Like hell he did.

Rather, my doctor told me I have laryngitis, and to go home and rest.

NOW - do I believe him, or my own medical knowledge? (Knowledge that roughly equates to knowing to take an asparin for a headache...). I know who I trust more.

Everyone!! There are people in this world who would really appreciate the answer Dr. Bob could give them about their genuine fatigue, anaemia.

Please, read his forum answers and try to answer your questions from there. He is not going to give you advice different to that which he has given earlier. The man knows his stuff!!

Sincerest apologies for the length of this Dr. Bob - I am sure you would rather be having a good old play on the piano than read this, but I hope this will give you a chance to help those in the world who would truly benefit from your wisdom.

Keep up the good, no, great, no, fantastic, no absoultely wonderous work you do. You are an inspiration to us all.

Dodge

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Dodge,

I like your wit and logic. My hands (and naughty fingers) would definitely not be "up" regarding "jumping to HIV" as a cause for your symptoms. Your risk is really extremely, extremely low. If this is your only risk, I'm quite certain you are not HIV-positive. If you need to confirm that, the 3-month test is available.

Stay well, Dodge. Keep smiling.

Dr. Bob

Previous
re: the great fellatio debate
Next
Was boston fun?? Practical or Just Theory??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.