Where do you see it

I have read that 2003 will be the busiest year ever for new drug launches, with at least five new products (T-20, FTC, Atazanavir and two reformulations) reaching the market in North America. With these new developements, and with future developments 5,10, or 20 yrs ahead, where do you see this disease going(no longer a death sentence, chronic like diabetes?) Will those who were infected in 2002 be around to benefit from the drugs of 2032? Your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I had a crystal ball to give you a concrete response, but alas, I don't. My personal opinion? Well, we are making steady progress. If we spent more time, energy, and money on finding a cure rather than making bombs, we'd be much further along, but that's another story all together. For those infected in 2002, we have good drugs available to control (not cure) the virus. The problem is tolerating and adhering to these complex potent drugs over protracted periods of time. Drug sided effects and unanticipated drug toxicities are presently our biggest challenge. Personally, I take over 7,000 pills per year and have to cope with a variety of unpleasant drug-related side effects; yet, I'm one happy camper just to be here. I'm very optimistic and in fact plan on dying of old age, not HIV.

So write back to me in 2032 and let's see what has happened. OK? In the meantime, continue to demand that we focus dollars and resources on real problems, like the HIV pandemic (8,000 folks dying every day) or world hunger (40,000 dying of starvation every week) rather than war games and Star Wars space shields that probably aren't even protective.

Watch for reports on the 5 new drugs you mentioned this week on The Body's coverage of the Retrovirus Conference in Boston.

Stay well.

NO ANTIBODIES VERY SCARED
fatigue for blody loses