NO ANTIBODIES VERY SCARED

Hello,DR.BOB.I wrote to you in july of 2002.MY question was about no antibodies late in hiv disease.I had tested 2 times one negative EIA and 1 not detected DNA-PCR 8-10 years past possible exposure unprotected vaginal sex.In august 2002 I tested again negative EIA and my wife also tested negative in august we have been married almost seven years now with no infideality.I am however very scared because of ongoing symptoms Mild night sweats small oral ulcers that seem to heal quick 1-2days.I also started to have burning and tingling in my feet not constant but enough to get me thinking the worse,I also had started noticing floaters in my vision.I went to a opthalmologist and found out I had a small break in the retina of my right eye which he sealed with laser eye surgery,he said that sometimes this can happen it is just one of them things.I had mentioned that I had tested for hiv could this be the cause he said no. HE asked when my last negative test was I told him in august my appointment with him was in october.I went to see a infectious disease doctor about my continuing symptoms.He tested me for hep c, my thyroid and TB all negative or normal. He said that I have had a thorough medical evaluation from what he could see.That HIV testing was extreamly accurate one of the best test for detection of infectious diseases.To try and treat my anxiety which I am in therapy for now.In your opnion do you think I have ruled HIV out I am still so scared everytime I start having symptoms.I have read that false negative tests are suppose to be highly unlikely after the window period.I just keep thinking maybe I am not producing antibodies anymore but then the dna-pcr should have detected something if it was there! I know that this is not the right forum.I do apologize for taking up your time!!! BY the way I read you are about to go to the east coast.I know it is not paradise but the snow here is pretty cool!!! THANK YOU!!! LIKE I said before you are truly a AWESOME DOCTOR,A kind and compassionate person the kind of person I hope to raise my children to be!!! THANK YOU again I promise not to write to your forum anymore!!!

Well, it's unanimous. I agree totally with results of the excessive number of HIV tests you've had over many, many years (all negative) and the various medical examinations by a variety of physicians - infectious diseases, ophthalmology, etc. (all saying that there is absolutely no way you could be HIV-infected!).

Your symptoms are not related to HIV, because you are not HIV-infected. We are all absolutely convinced of that. Your challenge now is to convince yourself. I'm glad you are in therapy for your anxiety. Please take a copy of this question and response with you to your next appointment with the therapist. Obviously, more work needs to be done to address your completely irrational fears of a non-existent HIV infection. Focus on your psychological problems rather than an infection you couldn't possibly have.

Yes, snow is pretty cool . . . very cool . . . . Actually it's cold . . . . very cold . . . . freezing cold. . . . I already miss my Californian sunshine and I've only been here 1 day!

Stay well.

WBC and Eosin
Where do you see it