In-Town Presentations?

Dear Dr. Bob,

I noted in a January 2003 posting that you do presentations in cities. Is it possible for me to access a copy of your speaking schedule? If you are going to be in my city I would love to hear your speak.

I have found your replies quite comforting to read and your style/outlook on life uplifting. Have you ever considered psychiatric work? Really now, you could do one on one counseling or even group therapy via video conference and not even leave home. (That is, what's left of the "home" from the renovations (=: ) I think the "powers to be" might be missing a tremendous gifting you have in dealing with the mind/spiritual side of a life-challenging illness and portraying hope to others. This in itself has the ability to combat "fatigue" in a way that rises above the (necessary) mechanics of blood chemistries, CBC's, etc. of any disease management. Have you considered compiling your thoughts on this and coupling it with some scientific research? I'm certain with your literary style and medical background you could be a national best seller on this one. Everyone needs the hand and voice of hope when the shadow of illness and disease is around them.

Thank you in advance for reading my question.

Yes, I do a fair amount of lecturing; however, the organization that invites me chooses the topic and who can attend. For instance, I may be in your city, but invited to speak to nurses or AIDS specialist physicians, etc. In that case, the general public would not be able to attend. If a patient-based AIDS service organization invites me, usually (but not always) HIV-positive folks connected with that organization are invited and can bring friends. Rather than publish my schedule, just check with your local AIDS service organizations. Get on their mailing lists for presentations and ask them if they have me scheduled anytime soon.

As for becoming a psychiatrist, thanks for the compliment! For the time being, I have my hands full keeping up with HIV/AIDS medicine, immunology, rheumatology, allergy, and pediatrics, not to mention my philanthropic foundation and classical piano endeavors. Oh, yes, and there is that home remodeling project . . . . I do enjoy giving presentations to other, shall we say, "virally enhanced" folks, addressing any and all issues of cohabitating with HIV.

As for scientific research, I have been involved with "quality of life" research as well as immune-based studies for a number of years. The reports are fairly technical and written for the AIDS specialists, not for a general audience. As for my literary style, well . . . . I have made several starts on a book. I pray every day that I live long enough to complete it. That's because at the current rate I'm writing, I'll be exactly 237-years-old when it's done and ready for publication (and that's if I don't become a psychiatrist along the way!).

Stay well. Thanks for writing.

young and scared
Thanks Dr. Bob