HIV And Pregnancy

Hello Dr. Frascino, My question is brief, I was curious as to the rate of infected mothers giving birth to healthy babies(HIV negative) when taking drug therapies while pregnant. I read somewhere that less than 1 of pregnant mothers living with HIV will transmitt the virus to the baby. Thank you in advance for your response.

Yep, you read that statistic correctly! Amazing as it may seem, multiple studies have shown that a combination of effective HAART (highly active anti-retroviral therapy), good prenatal health care, and bottle-feeding guarantee that 99 out of every 100 HIVers can become mothers with virtually no risk of infecting their babies! You might want to read more about this topic in the December 2002 issue of the magazine, "Poz."

You're very welcome.

erythropoeitin
What are the chances that my child is HIV negative?