The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

who do i see next?
Feb 4, 2003

Dear Bob, I had a low risk sexual exposure 8 months back. Two month after the exposure, I feet severe ARS like symptoms. I kept on testing until 6 months after the exposure. I still had symptoms like pain in throat, armpit and groin even if I tested negative after 6 months. Finally I went to see an ID Doc. He tested me all kind of std and everything came back negative. And like any other, he found the villain, STRESS. It is 8 months passed after the incident, still I feel tiredness, pain in groin, armpit and groin. Please advice me, who do I see next? An immunologist?



Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Sam,

OK, let me get this straight. You had a low-risk exposure, negative HIV tests out to 6 months, and an evaluation by an ID doctor who "found the villain" to be STRESS! OK, that all makes sense. Now your question is "should you see an immunologist?" Now Sam, let's think about this. If your house has a leak and water is pouring through your ceiling, and you call several specialists who all agree that the cause of your problem is a leaky bidet in your upstairs master bathroom, what would you do next? Call an electrician? Of course not! For leaky pipes, call a plumber! For stress, call a counselor or psychiatrist, not an immunologist. Immunologists do not fix stress problems any better than electricians fix leaky pipes! Make sense? Of course it does!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Life threatening for my family
Neuropathy, Weird Things going on?????

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint